March 28, 2011

Review: Breaking The Rules (#16 Troubleshooters Series) by Suzanne Brockmann

I'm going to try to make this review as spoiler free as I can, but maybe, just in case, don't read it if you don't want to know anything about the book, even vague references to the plot.

I have to be honest, I was a little scared about this book; I mean, when you have so many expectations about a book, is more likely that you are going to be disappointed, and this one was in my top five of “most expected books ever”! While I can’t say that I’m disappointed about Izzy’s book it wasn’t my favorite.

The plot was alright, I actually enjoyed it, but maybe you should at least read the previous book Hot Pursuit.  I can’t lie and say that I loved it, for me this plot cannot be compared with those of the first Troubleshooter’s books, which are amazing and are some of my favorite books (specially Over the Edge that, let me tell you: Is the best Romantic Suspense book ever).

The story of Neesha is devastating- to think that this is something that really happens in the world makes it worst-.  I would have loved to see what happens to Crossroad and maybe see Jules kick some homophobic ass, however, Ben is an excellent substitute. This brings me to the next part: the characters; oh, how I loved Ben! He is 15 going on 30! Funny, good-looking and with a huge heart, he has the potential to be a hero and to have his own HEA.

When I met Jenni in Hot Pursuit she instantly became one of my favorite heroines, yet in BTR she sometimes seemed like a different person. She is not the same woman that told Dan in HP that to prove his love for her he should leave, maybe this is because she just went through a stressful experience but still, I was expecting this great gesture from Dan, and certainty not what we got. On the other hand, Dan remained truthful to himself, the way he reacts when he discovers the hell that Ben and Eden went through and how he takes it all, is definitely Gillman, and when he said to Izzy that he prefers “Lean on me” I almost cried because, finally, finally! Someone –besides Eden- gets Izzy. They don't become friends overnight but they sure give each other a break.

Izzy Zanella. After Sam, he is my favorite hero in the Troubleshooter’s world. He has grown up so much in the past books that I was expecting I little bit more of him in BTR, and Suzanne gives us some of this in parts of the book (the scene at the beginning when he goes to visit Eden at her new workplace is so sad and at the same time so true! I was tearful when I was reading it); but then he starts acting as the Izzy from Into the Storm, not the man that loves Eden desperately; oh well, maybe this is his way of dealing with all that is happening. His sense of humor remains so dark and politically incorrect that I couldn’t help to fall in love with him all over again (and that says something about me I’m not sure I want to think about).

About Eden I have to say that I love the way she takes control of her power over men, she finally stops looking at herself as a victim and starts to take responsibility of her actions. I found her backstory a little overdone, but I understand that’s the reason she uses sex as a weapon.

And yes, I found the book to be a bit preachy in some parts and that got on my nerves, maybe she should have been more subtle about it, but I understand that some topics are close to her heart and I get her need to make a stand about it.

I’m sure going to miss the Troubleshooter series, we have to wait I don’t know how many years to read more about them, that’s why I was expecting a little sneak-peek (like a “two years later” or something) but I guess that we can’t have it all. I’m giving this book a 3 because even though I couldn’t stop reading it, it wasn’t what I expected. Nevertheless the whole series remains as my favorite and I absolutely love Suzanne and her work. If you want to read this book I would recommend you to start from the beginning of the series: “The Unsung Hero”, believe me, you are going to have a wonderful time reading it. This is a book for fans of Suzanne Brockmann and the Troubleshooters series in general, if you love Suzanne’s writing, you sure are going to love it.


Review by Marie
Grade: 2.5
Sensuality: McSteamy

Synopsis

Izzy Zanella wasn't looking for another reason to butt heads with his Navy SEAL teammate and nemesis, Danny Gillman. But then he met Danny’s beautiful younger sister, Eden. When she needed it most, he offered her a place to stay, a shoulder to cry on—and more.And when she got pregnant with another man’s child, he offered her marriage. But Eden’s devastating miscarriage shattered their life together—and made the intense bad blood between Izzy and Danny even worse.

Now Eden's back, on a mission to rescue her teen brother, Ben, from their abusive stepfather. Even if she and Izzy can prove that their broken marriage is still in one piece, winning legal custody of Ben is a long shot. But they’re not alone: Danny and his girlfriend Jenn offer to help, and he and Izzy agree to bury the past and fight for Ben’s future.

As they plan their strategy, Izzy and Eden grapple with the raw passion that still crackles between them—while Danny and Jenn confront new depths in their own rocky relationship. But events take a terrifying turn after Ben befriends a girl fleeing a child prostitution ring. When the young runaway seeks refuge with Eden and Izzy, her pursuers kidnap Ben—and a deadly standoff begins. Now, they must all pull together like never before and strike back, swift and hard, to protect their unconventional little family and everything they hold most precious.
Ballantine Books; March 22, 2011

1 comment:

  1. Meanwhile Danny and Izzy work a mission in Afghanistan in which the former is wounded and the latter saves his life but almost dies doing so. After a hospital stint in Germany, they come home to learn Eden is trying to rescue her teenage younger brother Ben from their abusive stepfather Greg and his mother Ivette. They head to Vegas along with Danny's on again and off again girlfriend Jennilyn LeMay to help Eden. When Ben rescues Neesha from a child prostitution ring, Eden and Izzy protect her as the mobsters come for their merchandise, but snatch Ben instead.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger likes to eat comments, so I suggest copying it before hitting "publish" just in case it doesn't go through the first time. This is a pain, I know, but it's the only solution/prevision I can think of, and it will save you the frustration of losing a comment. Also, thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FTC Disclaimer

The books reviewed here were purchased by us. If the book was provided by the author or publisher for review, it will be noted on the post. We do not get any type of monetary compensation from publishers or authors.