April 11, 2013

Review: Love Irresistibly by Julie James


Source: a review copy was provided by the author and publisher through NetGalley.

The first Julie James book I read was Practice Makes Perfect, and that experience was as close to love at first sight as it gets. Ever since then, I’ve been a fan of Ms. James’ books, and each new release has been anxiously awaited. There have been some bumps in the road, but I continue to thoroughly enjoy her books.

Brooke Parker is the general counsel of a company that owns restaurants. U.S. Assistant Attorney Cade Morgan wants to use one of those restaurants to catch a dirty politician. He asks for her help, they catch the guy and they start a relationship. Sounds like I just spoiled the whole thing, right? Wrong! The catching of the bad guy is nothing but an elaborate meet-cute. Despite what the blurb says, this book is a straight Contemporary Romance, and there’s really no suspense subplot. Something I really appreciated.


Love Irresistibly is the story of two people whose professional lives are highly successful, yet suddenly find themselves at a bit of a crossroads. And when unusual circumstanced bring them together, the relationship they develop force them to take a look at what they want, their future and maybe even realize that dreams and priorities can change.

The book is also about family -- the one you get, the one you make with friends and lovers, and the one that unexpectedly shows up out of nowhere. And as I said before, it’s about growing up and adapting old dreams to new circumstances.

I really liked Brooke and Cade, both individually and as a romantic couple. There was a lot of chemistry between them and tons of the fun banter usual in Ms. James’ books. But what I liked the most about them was that they truly respected and admired each other. These are powerful characters that are self-assured and comfortable in their own skins, and the dynamic of their relationship was that of equals and never a power struggle. This is why the ending feels like new take on a trite resolution that tends to make most readers --myself included-- quite mad. But Ms. James manages to pull it off by the sheer confidence her heroine exudes.

Is this a 5-star read? No. I liked everything about it, and it’s one of the best books in the series, but the stories are getting formulaic. They certainly work, and I have tons of fun reading them. But these novels are a clear comfort zone, and what originally made Julie James one of the most refreshing voices in Contemporary Romance, becomes more familiar and old with each book. Lover Irresistibly deviated a bit from the norm, but is that enough to stop the books from blending in together? We’ll have to wait for the next book to find out.

Criticisms aside, I highly recommend this book, as well as everything else Ms. James has written.

Review by Brie
Grade: 4
Sensuality: McSexy
Purchase: Amazon

Synopsis:
HE’S USED TO GETTING WHAT HE WANTS… 
A former football star and one of Chicago’s top prosecutors, Assistant U.S. Attorney Cade Morgan will do anything to nail a corrupt state senator, which means he needs Brooke Parker’s help. As general counsel for a restaurant company, she can get a bug to the senator’s table at one of her five-star restaurants so the FBI can eavesdrop on him. All Cade has to do is convince Brooke to cooperate—and he’s not afraid to use a little charm, or the power of his office, to do just that. 
AND WHAT HE WANTS IS HER. 
A savvy businesswoman, Brooke knows she needs to play ball with the U.S. Attorney’s office—even if it means working with Cade. No doubt there’s a sizzling attraction beneath all their sarcastic quips, but Brooke is determined to keep things casual. Cade agrees—until a surprising turn of events throws his life into turmoil, and he realizes that he wants more than just a good time from the one woman with whom he could fall terrifyingly, irresistibly in love . . .
Love Irresistibly (FBI/U.S. Attorney) by Julie James
Berkley. April 2, 2013.

6 comments:

  1. I like this one as well. This one seemed to have more character development. I agree, the series is getting formulaic. I'd like to meet a hero/heroine who doesn't like Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'd like to meet a hero/heroine who doesn't like Starbucks."

      LOL! I thought this book had the best characters since the first FBI book.

      Delete
  2. But what I liked the most about them was that they truly respected and admired each other. These are powerful characters that are self-assured and comfortable in their own skins, and the dynamic of their relationship was that of equals and never a power struggle

    This. Yes.

    Her books always make me happy and satisfied :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And I always know that I'm going to have a great time. James consistently delivers.

      Delete
  3. I just finished listening to this one. I liked but did not love it. I feel like a bit of an outlier though - I think a lot more people love it to bits.

    I think one of my reasons is that I found it hard to relate to how driven (work wise) Brooke was. I'm more into the work/life balance myself - I work hard when it's work time but I've never wanted to be in a job where I had to do tons of overtime etc. I have passion for more things than my career so listening to how Brooke worked all the time made me tired. That's not to be critical of those who enjoy working lots of hours in their career etc, but as it's not me, it was just harder for me to relate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brie :) Definitively a great installment. I really enjoyed Love Irresistibly for all the things you mentioned above. I liked the ending :P First, it's different from the "she went and decided to come back" and plus, other factors weighted in her decision. Not just the hero.

    And oh, the banter was just so good!!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger likes to eat comments, so I suggest copying it before hitting "publish" just in case it doesn't go through the first time. This is a pain, I know, but it's the only solution/prevision I can think of, and it will save you the frustration of losing a comment. Also, thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FTC Disclaimer

The books reviewed here were purchased by us. If the book was provided by the author or publisher for review, it will be noted on the post. We do not get any type of monetary compensation from publishers or authors.